At Elegen, we are developing innovative technologies to unlock the SynBio revolution. We are seeking an experienced, passionate software engineer to become a key member of our growing R&D team, spearheading the development of a new and disruptive DNA synthesizer. As a part of our team, they will play a central role in defining and implementing molecular biology strategies for scalable production of long, perfect synthetic DNA.
This is a rare and exciting opportunity for a highly motivated and self-driven engineer to get in near the ground floor of a fast moving, very high impact start-up. In addition to working on cutting edge technology, the candidate would help us establish a strong culture of mutual respect, integrity, and collaboration while working alongside some of Silicon Valley’s best scientists and engineers.
● Own the instrument SW stack for Elegen’s Oligosynthesis instrument (comprising high-speed image processing, pneumatic and fluidic sensors and actuators)
● Manage software development schedule and budget.
● Transform user needs into design inputs and create software requirements.
● Lead cross-functional investigation and resolution of technical problems, not limiting to software issues.
Essential Candidate Profile:
● Degree in engineering or computer science + 8 years of experience, 3+ in a leading role, developing software for instrumentation/machine control.
● Experience in production software development on Linux.
● Experience with Linux kernel scheduling and real-time applications.
● Experience in creating high-speed imaging applications.
● Demonstrated fluency in C/C++, data structures and algorithms is required.
● Demonstrated fluency in scripting (Python) is required.
● Strong software development and debug skills. Proficient with source control management repositories (such as GIT, SVN, etc.) and CM practices
● Demonstrated success in collaborating in a fast-paced team environment and delivering high-quality software products.
Preferred Candidate Qualifications:
● Experience with GPUs, Computer Vision, CUDA programming.
● Writing kernel drivers for high-performance data movement.
● Experience with ARM-Cortex A based hardware.
● Experience in user interface development.
● Be curious, detail oriented, and analytical, with a proven ability to learn quickly.
● Be customer-focused, team-oriented, and motivated, taking ownership of assigned tasks.
● Have a proven ability to self-manage, as well as manage interdisciplinary relationships. About the company:
About the company:
We are now at the dawn of the synthetic biology revolution, which will spawn new applications, markets, and business models, improving human lives in countless ways. This revolution will be driven by new technologies that enable DNA writing at speed and scale.
Founded and led by Dr. Matthew Hill and located in San Carlos, CA, Elegen is well-capitalized by top life science investors, including Andreessen Horowitz, 8VC, and KdT. The company is advised and staffed by leading biotechnology scientists and entrepreneurs, including Dr. Marc Unger, inventor of the Nanoflex™ valve, and former CSO of Fluidigm. Dr. Hill has a PhD from Stanford and a proven track record of advancing innovative technologies from invention to commercial success. Over eight years in his previous role as VP of R&D at a leading molecular diagnostics company, he co-invented and launched five precision molecular diagnostic products, including a best-in-class noninvasive prenatal test used by millions. These products earn more than $350 million per year in revenue and enabled an IPO.