Lab Automation Engineer
At Elegen, we are developing innovative technologies to unlock the SynBio revolution. We are seeking a scientist or engineer passionate about advancing biology via lab automation to become one of the founding members of our growing R&D team. As a part of our team, they will play a central role in automating molecular biology workflows for scalable production of long, perfect synthetic DNA.
This is a rare and exciting opportunity for a highly motivated and self-driven candidate to get in near the ground floor of a fast moving, very high impact start-up. In addition to working on cutting edge technology, the candidate would help us establish a strong culture of mutual respect, integrity, and collaboration while working alongside some of Silicon Valley’s best scientists and engineers.
• Lead the implementation of high-throughput automated platforms for gene synthesis.
• Program, characterize and test liquid handling equipment for automating the molecular biology processes for production.
• Optimize automated workflows to improve process efficiency, throughput, and cost.
• Plan and perform validation and qualification studies on automated equipment to ensure product requirements are met.
• Develop SOPs and work instruction documentation for lab automation systems.
• Support instrumentation troubleshooting and maintenance during production.
• Integrate the operation of the automated systems with the LIMS software in collaborate with the software team.
Essential Candidate Profile:
• Degree in engineering or science with 3 years of hands-on experience with liquid handling and lab automation equipment.
• Experience in designing, implementing, and troubleshooting automated workflows for molecular biology processes.
• Proficiency in programming industry standard liquid handling platforms like Hamilton STAR, Agilent Bravo, Echo and Tecan.
• Experience in defining instrumentation requirements based on process specifications.
Preferred Candidate Qualifications:
• Experience in startup environment – ability to anticipate and adapt to change and maintain order
• Experience automating DNA purification using magnetic beads
• Experience with PCR, nucleic acid purification and NGS library prep
• Proficiency in DOE and statistical data analysis • Experience in designing and executing validation studies or IQ/OQ/PQ for automation equipment.
About the company:
We are now at the dawn of the synthetic biology revolution, which will spawn new applications, markets, and business models, improving human lives in countless ways. This revolution will be driven by new technologies that enable DNA writing at speed and scale.
For decades, synthetic DNA has been an essential input into biomedical and biology research; high throughput sequencing and technologies such as CRISPR have further fueled demand for synthetic DNA. However, the technologies for synthesizing DNA have evolved only incrementally. To catalyze this revolution, Elegen is creating a suite of ground-breaking technologies to achieve DNA writing with unparalleled speed, cost, and quality. Elegen is unlocking the power to reprogram biology and create biologic solutions in order to solve some of humanity’s greatest challenges.
Founded and led by Dr. Matthew Hill and located in San Carlos, CA, Elegen is wellcapitalized by top life science investors, including Andreessen Horowitz, 8VC, and KdT. The company is advised and staffed by leading biotechnology scientists and entrepreneurs, including Dr. Marc Unger, inventor of the Nanoflex™ valve, and former CSO of Fluidigm. Dr. Hill has a PhD from Stanford and a proven track record of advancing innovative technologies from invention to commercial success. Over eight years in his previous role as VP of R&D at a leading molecular diagnostics company, he co-invented and launched five precision molecular diagnostic products, including a best-in-class noninvasive prenatal test used by millions. These products earn more than $350 million per year in revenue and enabled an IPO.