Scientist, Molecular Biology - Cloning
At Elegen, we are developing innovative technologies to unlock the SynBio revolution. We are seeking an intensely passionate and creative molecular biologist to become one of the founding members of our growing R&D team, spearheading the development of our revolutionary gene synthesis technology. As a part of our team, they will play a central role in defining and implementing molecular biology strategies for scalable production of long, perfect synthetic DNA.
This is a rare and exciting opportunity for a highly motivated and self-driven scientist to get in near the ground floor of a fast moving, very high impact start-up. In addition to working on cutting edge technology, the candidate would help us establish a strong culture of mutual respect, integrity, and collaboration while working alongside some of Silicon Valley’s best scientists and engineers.
● Drive the development of high throughput gene synthesis protocols from early concept through validation and commercialization stages.
● Design and execute hypothesis-driven, systematic experimental plans and interpret data using statistical analysis tools.
● Develop analytical methodologies to aid product development and work closely with bioinformatics to develop sequencing-based QC techniques.
● Support the transfer implementation of molecular biology protocols to production.
● Develop protocols into reproducible standard operating procedures suitable for commercial release and support product documentation.
Essential Candidate Profile:
● PhD in molecular biology, biochemistry, synthetic biology or a related field and 3+ years of industrial experience.
● Deep expertise in molecular biology techniques. Particularly PCR, cloning, DNA analysis and purification and gene synthesis.
● Proficient in statistically rigorous design of experiments and data analysis using R, Excel, Python or similar.
● Strong track record of working in a highly collaborative environment on multidisciplinary projects.
● Self-starter, with a strong passion for developing and implementing new molecular biology techniques.
Preferred Candidate Qualifications:
● In-depth knowledge of PCR troubleshooting and multiplex assays and previous experience with commercialization of PCR based assays.
● Strong understanding of NGS methods, library preparation and data interpretation.
● Working knowledge of synthetic biology techniques, especially de novo gene synthesis, and strong understanding of synthetic biology applications.
● Previous experience with assay automation using liquid handling systems.
About the company:
We are now at the dawn of the synthetic biology revolution, which will spawn new applications, markets, and business models, improving human lives in countless ways. This revolution will be driven by new technologies that enable DNA writing at speed and scale.
Founded and led by Dr. Matthew Hill and located in San Carlos, CA, Elegen is well-capitalized by top life science investors, including Andreessen Horowitz, 8VC, and KdT. The company is advised and staffed by leading biotechnology scientists and entrepreneurs, including Dr. Marc Unger, inventor of the Nanoflex™ valve, and former CSO of Fluidigm. Dr. Hill has a PhD from Stanford and a proven track record of advancing innovative technologies from invention to commercial success. Over eight years in his previous role as VP of R&D at a leading molecular diagnostics company, he co-invented and launched five precision molecular diagnostic products, including a best-in-class noninvasive prenatal test used by millions. These products earn more than $350 million per year in revenue and enabled an IPO.