At Elegen, we are developing innovative technologies to unlock the SynBio revolution. We are seeking a passionate and astute bioinformatics scientist to support the computational needs of the R&D team. The candidate will play a key role in developing NGS-based analysis and related tools for our innovative DNA synthesis technology.
This is a rare and exciting opportunity for a highly motivated and self-driven scientist to get in near the ground floor of a fast-moving, very high impact start-up. In addition to working on cutting edge technology, the candidate would help us establish a strong culture of mutual respect, integrity, and collaboration while working alongside some of Silicon Valley’s best scientists and engineers.
• Develop important bioinformatics tools, algorithms, and analysis methods to complement Elegen’s novel synthetic DNA production platform.
• Build, optimize, automate, and maintain various processing or analysis pipelines.
• Provide computational support and data-based guidance to the molecular biology and engineering teams on experimental design and analysis.
• Collaborate with molecular biology team on primer and gene assembly design.
• Design and build front-end analysis interfaces for internal use.
• Help design and build databases and server networks for internal and external applications.
Essential Candidate Profile:
• Ph.D. in bioinformatics, computational biology, genomics or a related field.
• Demonstrated expertise with various NGS systems, data analysis, interpretation and troubleshooting.
• Experience in sequencing analysis pipeline development and automation.
• Proficiency in programming languages such a Python, R, C/C+, and SQL.
• Possess strong analytical thinking and organizational skills.
• Self-starter, with the ability to independently design, validate, manage, and execute data analysis.
• Demonstrated ability to collaborate and communicate effectively in interdisciplinary teams.
Preferred Candidate Qualifications:
• Familiarity with molecular biology or synthetic biology approaches and methods.
• Experience with server/database architecture/maintenance.
About the company:
We are now at the dawn of the synthetic biology revolution, which will spawn new applications, markets, and business models, improving human lives in countless ways. This revolution will be driven by new technologies that enable DNA writing at speed and scale.
Founded and led by Dr. Matthew Hill and located in San Carlos, CA, Elegen is well-capitalized by top life science investors, including Andreessen Horowitz, 8VC, and KdT. The company is advised and staffed by leading biotechnology scientists and entrepreneurs, including Dr. Marc Unger, inventor of the Nanoflex™ valve, and former CSO of Fluidigm. Dr. Hill has a PhD from Stanford and a proven track record of advancing innovative technologies from invention to commercial success. Over eight years in his previous role as VP of R&D at a leading molecular diagnostics company, he co-invented and launched five precision molecular diagnostic products, including a best-in-class noninvasive prenatal test used by millions. These products earn more than $350 million per year in revenue and enabled an IPO.