Bioinformatics Software Engineer
At Elegen, we are developing innovative technologies to unlock the SynBio revolution. We are seeking a passionate and versitile computer scientist/bioinformatics scientist excited to work at the intersection of computer science and biology to develop critical tools complementing Elegen’s novel hardware and processes.
This is a rare and exciting opportunity for a highly motivated and self-driven scientist to get in near the ground floor of a fast-moving, very high impact start-up. In addition to working on cutting edge technology, the candidate would help us establish a strong culture of mutual respect, integrity, and collaboration while working alongside some of Silicon Valley’s best scientists and engineers.
● Develop important bioinformatics tools, algorithms, and analysis methods to complement Elegen’s novel synthetic DNA production platform.
● Build, optimize, automate, and maintain various processing or analysis pipelines.
● Provide computational support and data-based guidance to the molecular biology and engineering teams on experimental design and analysis.
● Collaborate with molecular biology team on primer and gene assembly design.
● Design and build front-end analysis interfaces for internal use.
● Help design and build databases and server networks for internal and external applications.
Essential Candidate Profile:
● B.S. or M.S. in computer science, bioinformatics, computational biology, genomics or a related field with 3 years of industry experience.
● Proficiency in Python programming.
● Knowledge of database architecture, querying (SQL) and management.
● Familiar with software development best practices, including version control using GitHub, testing and tracking (Jira), continuous integration and deployment (Jenkins).
● Experience in algorithm optimization using parallel programming and cluster computing.
● Demonstrated ability to collaborate and communicate effectively in interdisciplinary teams.
Preferred Candidate Qualifications:
● Experience in bioinformatics analysis pipeline development, automation and maintenance.
● Familiarity with machine learning, statistics, and predictive modeling.
● Familiarity with molecular biology approaches and methods.
About the company:
We are now at the dawn of the synthetic biology revolution, which will spawn new applications, markets, and business models, improving human lives in countless ways. This revolution will be driven by new technologies that enable DNA writing at speed and scale.
For decades, synthetic DNA has been an essential input into biomedical and biology research; high throughput sequencing and technologies such as CRISPR have further fueled demand for synthetic DNA. However, the technologies for synthesizing DNA have evolved only incrementally. To catalyze this revolution, Elegen is creating a suite of ground-breaking technologies to achieve DNA writing with unparalleled speed, cost, and quality. Elegen is unlocking the power to reprogram biology and create biologic solutions in order to solve some of humanity’s greatest challenges.
Founded and led by Dr. Matthew Hill and located in San Carlos, CA, Elegen is well-capitalized by top life science investors, including Andreessen Horowitz, 8VC, and KdT. The company is advised and staffed by leading biotechnology scientists and entrepreneurs, including Dr. Marc Unger, inventor of the Nanoflex™ valve, and former CSO of Fluidigm. Dr. Hill has a PhD from Stanford and a proven track record of advancing innovative technologies from invention to commercial success. Over eight years in his previous role as VP of R&D at a leading molecular diagnostics company, he co-invented and launched five precision molecular diagnostic products, including a best-in-class noninvasive prenatal test used by millions. These products earn more than $350 million per year in revenue and enabled an IPO.