Research Associate, Molecular Biology
At Elegen, we are developing innovative technologies to unlock the SynBio revolution. We are seeking a talented and passionate Research Associate to join our growing R&D team. As a part of our molecular biology team, they will play an important role in the development and execution of novel molecular biology workflows for gene synthesis.
This is a rare and exciting opportunity for a highly motivated and self-driven candidate to get in near the ground floor of a fast moving, very high impact start-up. In addition to working on cutting edge technology, they would help us establish a strong culture of mutual respect, integrity, and collaboration while working alongside some of Silicon Valley’s best scientists and engineers.
● Independently execute and troubleshoot molecular biology projects to support the gene synthesis team.
● Carry out experiments and gather data in a systematic manner with good laboratory practices.
● Prepare and clearly communicate experimental methodology and data summaries.
● Propose and implement optimization and improvements for benchtop workflows.
● Develop analytical methods for QC of molecular biology protocol steps.
● Support writing of standard operating procedures and technical product documentation.
Essential Candidate Profile:
● BA or MS biology or a related field with 1+ years of R&D experience.
● Previous experience in molecular biology techniques such as PCR and gel electrophoresis.
● Experience with DNA handling, quantification and purification.
● Proficiency in data recording and analysis using Excel, R, Python etc.
● Demonstrated eagerness to enhance one’s scientific skills and knowledge by seeking deep understanding of biological processes.
● Excellent written and oral communication skills.
● Strong track record of working in a highly collaborative environment on multidisciplinary projects.
Preferred Candidate Qualifications:
● Extensive hands-on experience with PCR and troubleshooting endpoint and qPCR-based assays.
● Previous experience with NGS workflows and library preparation.
● Experience in design of experiments and statistical data analysis.
● Experience with liquid handling systems.
About the company:
We are now at the dawn of the synthetic biology revolution, which will spawn new applications, markets, and business models, improving human lives in countless ways. This revolution will be driven by new technologies that enable DNA writing at speed and scale.
Founded and led by Dr. Matthew Hill and located in San Carlos, CA, Elegen is well-capitalized by top life science investors, including Andreessen Horowitz, 8VC, and KdT. The company is advised and staffed by leading biotechnology scientists and entrepreneurs, including Dr. Marc Unger, inventor of the Nanoflex™ valve, and former CSO of Fluidigm. Dr. Hill has a PhD from Stanford and a proven track record of advancing innovative technologies from invention to commercial success. Over eight years in his previous role as VP of R&D at a leading molecular diagnostics company, he co-invented and launched five precision molecular diagnostic products, including a best-in-class noninvasive prenatal test used by millions. These products earn more than $350 million per year in revenue and enabled an IPO.