Microfluidics Research Assistant
Elegen is developing a suite of innovative technologies to unlock the SynBio revolution. We are seeking a great microfluidics research assistant to become one of the key members of the R&D team, contributing to the development of Elegen’s innovative microfluidics technologies for synthetic biology.
We are open to various levels of experience as long as the candidate has the ability to strongly contribute on innovative technologies from research through development and deployment, and the willingness and ability to contribute technically. There will be substantial opportunities for career growth and development as the company grows.
This is a rare and exciting opportunity for a highly motivated and capable research assistant to get in near the ground floor of a fast-moving, very high impact start-up and make a substantial contribution to the life sciences. In addition to working on Elegen’s novel and innovative technology, the candidate would help us establish a strong culture of mutual respect, integrity, and collaboration while working alongside some of Silicon Valley’s best scientists and engineers.
• Provide accurate, efficient and quality workmanship in the assembly and QC of multicomponent fluidic/microfluidic cartridges
• Execute detailed instrument protocols and ensure continual operation of equipment to meet targets assigned by management
• Effectively and immediately communicate any complications that arise; work with engineers to establish and maintain solutions
• Extensive use of stereoscopes/microscopes and performance of precision tasks requiring a high level of attention to detail
• Recording results of protocol execution and manufacturing tasks in batch records as well as computer data entry
• Other duties and responsibilities as assigned by management
Essential Candidate Profile:
• A minimum of 1-2 year experience in precision high-tech production or manufacturing or assembly or related position within biology, chemistry, or engineering.
• Must be able to follow specific procedures and remain focused on exact and repetitive protocols and assembly tasks
• Ability to understand flowcharts, formulas and graphs
• Practical experience in a laboratory environment with the ability to properly utilize and maintain a laboratory notebook
• Can quickly learn and apply new skills, processes, and approaches
• Good communication skills (verbal and written English) and can effectively document their work
• Good eye-hand coordination and fine manual dexterity needed.
• Skilled in the use of microscopes, stereoscopes and cameras.
• Experience using measurement tools and understanding unit conversion.
About the company:
We are now at the dawn of the synthetic biology revolution, which will spawn new applications, markets, and business models, improving human lives in countless ways. This revolution will be driven by new technologies that enable DNA writing at speed and scale.
Founded and led by Dr. Matthew Hill and located in San Carlos, CA, Elegen is well-capitalized by top life science investors, including Andreessen Horowitz, 8VC, and KdT. The company is advised and staffed by leading biotechnology scientists and entrepreneurs, including Dr. Marc Unger, inventor of the Nanoflex™ valve, and former CSO of Fluidigm. Dr. Hill has a PhD from Stanford and a proven track record of advancing innovative technologies from invention to commercial success. Over eight years in his previous role as VP of R&D at a leading molecular diagnostics company, he co-invented and launched five precision molecular diagnostic products, including a best-in-class noninvasive prenatal test used by millions. These products earn more than $350 million per year in revenue and enabled an IPO.