Research Associate, Chemistry
At Elegen, we are developing innovative technologies to unlock the SynBio revolution. We are seeking a talented and passionate Research Associate to join our growing R&D team. As a part of our Oligo Synthesis group, the candidate will play an important role in the development and optimization of groundbreaking DNA synthesis methodologies.
This is a rare and exciting opportunity for a highly motivated and self-driven candidate to get in near the ground floor of a fast moving, very high impact start-up. In addition to working on cutting edge technology, the candidate would help us establish a strong culture of mutual respect, integrity, and collaboration while working alongside some of Silicon Valley’s best scientists and engineers.
● The ability to independently execute and troubleshoot experiments to optimize oligonucleotide yield and purity
● Performing analyses by RP and IEX HPLC and UV/Vis spectroscopy
● Communicate experimental methodology and data summaries in a clear and concise manner
● Support the engineers and microfluidic scientists by preparing reagents for DNA synthesis
● Derivatize and analyze solid support resins
● Carry out experiments and gather data in a systematic manner consistent with good laboratory practices
● Maintain inventory of necessary reagents and buffers
● Dispose of hazardous waste as necessary
● Support writing of standard operating procedures and technical product documentation
Essential Candidate Profile:
● BA/BS in Chemistry
● Previous lab experience running organic reactions and performing analyses
● Familiarity with oligonucleotide chemistry and purification techniques
● Strong foundation in laboratory safety and knowledge of relative risks in a lab environment
● Proficiency in software programs such as Excel, MS Word, Powerpoint
● Excellent written and oral communication skills
● Enthusiastic about working in a highly collaborative environment on multidisciplinary projects
Preferred Candidate Qualifications:
● Experience running an ABI 394 DNA synthesizer or other DNA synthesizers
● Experience working with oligonucleotides
About the company:
We are now at the dawn of the synthetic biology revolution, which will spawn new applications, markets, and business models, improving human lives in countless ways. This revolution will be driven by new technologies that enable DNA writing at speed and scale.
Founded and led by Dr. Matthew Hill and located in San Carlos, CA, Elegen is well-capitalized by top life science investors, including Andreessen Horowitz, 8VC, and KdT. The company is advised and staffed by leading biotechnology scientists and entrepreneurs, including Dr. Marc Unger, inventor of the Nanoflex™ valve, and former CSO of Fluidigm. Dr. Hill has a PhD from Stanford and a proven track record of advancing innovative technologies from invention to commercial success. Over eight years in his previous role as VP of R&D at a leading molecular diagnostics company, he co-invented and launched five precision molecular diagnostic products, including a best-in-class noninvasive prenatal test used by millions. These products earn more than $350 million per year in revenue and enabled an IPO.