At Elegen, we are developing innovative technologies to unlock the SynBio revolution. We are seeking an experienced, passionate software engineer to become a key member of our growing R&D team, spearheading the development of a new and disruptive DNA synthesizer. As a part of our team, they will play a central role in defining and implementing molecular biology strategies for scalable production of long, perfect synthetic DNA.
This is a rare and exciting opportunity for a highly motivated and self-driven engineer to get in near the ground floor of a fast moving, very high impact start-up. In addition to working on cutting edge technology, the candidate would help us establish a strong culture of mutual respect, integrity, and collaboration while working alongside some of Silicon Valley’s best scientists and engineers.
● Contribute to fluidic architecture and the design of custom fluidic sub-system components (i.e., microfluidic chips, fluidic interfaces, and reagent cassettes).
● Conduct modeling and analyses including CAD, CFD, and tolerance budgets to drive specifications of fluidics components.
● Apply reliability models to develop test requirements and protocols.
● Design and implement testbeds for the characterization and reliability testing of fluidic sub-systems.
● Execute DOEs and perform statistical analyses to verify critical specifications.
● Perform failure analysis and issue triage of fluidic sub-systems.
● Conduct clear and concise communication with peers and stakeholders through oral updates, written reports, and technical presentations.
Essential Candidate Profile:
● B.S. or above in Engineering, Applied Physics, Bioengineering or related field.
● Minimum of B.S. + 5 years of related experience; or M.S. + 3 years; or PhD + 1 year of industry experience.
● Has demonstrated success in designing, prototyping, developing, testing, and analyzing pressuredriven fluidic devices and systems.
● Knowledge of fluid dynamic principles in microfluidic systems.
● Good understanding of statistics.
● Hands-on lab experience designing and executing testbeds to characterize fluidic performance.
● Experience with experimental design and execution, including DOEs and root cause analysis.
● Is detail oriented.
● Works well with others and enjoys a highly collaborative team environment.
● Excels at evaluating a large set of possibilities and tradeoffs in complex engineered systems and selecting an optimal solution.
● Demonstrates the highest level of professional integrity.
Preferred Candidate Qualifications:
● Has experience on a full product development cycle.
● Has experience with life science tools development.
● Has good understanding of critical parameter management and reliability models. ● Has experience with pressure-driven fluidic devices and systems.
● Has experience with solvent-resistant fluidics, microfluidics, and valving.
● Has experience with DFM in injection molding.
About the company:
We are now at the dawn of the synthetic biology revolution, which will spawn new applications, markets, and business models, improving human lives in countless ways. This revolution will be driven by new technologies that enable DNA writing at speed and scale.
Founded and led by Dr. Matthew Hill and located in San Carlos, CA, Elegen is well-capitalized by top life science investors, including Andreessen Horowitz, 8VC, and KdT. The company is advised and staffed by leading biotechnology scientists and entrepreneurs, including Dr. Marc Unger, inventor of the Nanoflex™ valve, and former CSO of Fluidigm. Dr. Hill has a PhD from Stanford and a proven track record of advancing innovative technologies from invention to commercial success. Over eight years in his previous role as VP of R&D at a leading molecular diagnostics company, he co-invented and launched five precision molecular diagnostic products, including a best-in-class noninvasive prenatal test used by millions. These products earn more than $350 million per year in revenue and enabled an IPO.